For porta­bil­i­ty rea­sons I’ve done my last few bugs with my mighty pen­cil case of the water sol­u­ble. (Best thing I’ve ever bought for stor­age!) It was nice to get back to the famil­iar and rec­og­nize I can still get excit­ed over the vibran­cy of inktense.

I played around with my water­colour brush pens, der­went water­colour pen­cils, bruynzeel water­colour pen­cils, but I just was­n’t achiev­ing what I want­ed. I had too many pri­ma­ry colours going and not enough bright­ness to play with. If I ever invent a set of any­thing I will make it not the stan­dard pri­ma­ry colours because that’s what is in all of the oth­er sets. *cue angel­ic music* And then my der­went ink­tense to the rescue.

I had a the­o­ry about hot press paper and pen­cils. Cold press paper has so much tex­ture that some­times even when you wet it over and over again the colour still sits on top on the tex­ture. It is one of the rea­sons I do so many lay­ers, to try and get it as smooth as I can. My thoughts were it could­n’t do that with the smooth­ness of hot press. I was a lit­tle bit wrong. It can still do it a bit because it is part­ly the tex­ture of the pen­cil itself. I bought a ink­tense pan set for this pur­pose, but I’m just not uti­liz­ing it as much as I thought due to the colour restric­tions in it. This is one of the rea­sons why I want­ed to learn water­colour. I want­ed to get rid of that texture.

It is real­ly too bad I love ink­tense so much because I think it might just be them caus­ing a tex­ture. I have a sin­gle Caran d’ache muse­um aquarelle and it dis­solves its tex­ture so eas­i­ly. Some­day I will have many more. Some­day. $7 a pen­cil is just hard right now. Espe­cial­ly when I have so many oth­ers already.

I don’t think I will ever be an artist that works with a restrict­ed palette, even though I should brush up on my colour mix­ing skills.

I do wish water­colour was taught in my visu­al arts pro­gram at school, but here I am tak­ing a stab at it now. I feel like this was the way it was meant to be.